I wrote a pretty long comment elsewhere regarding Xenoblade 3, which is pretty much my favourite game of all time in 30+ years of gaming. I guess it would be a cool idea for others to do the same - but don’t just give a list, sell your favourite title to us!

So, Xenoblade 3 (Switch, although I now play it on my PC via Yuzu in 4k) is the final part of the RPG trilogy developed by Monolithsoft (Nintendo owned second party, responsible for the overworld tech in Zelda BOTW/TOTK). The director of the series is Tetsuya Takahashi, who is also the creator of Xenogears and Xenosaga (there are links to Blade, I won’t spoil). It shows what happens to the individual worlds of Xenoblade 1 and 2 once they collide. However the series is structured in such a way that you can arguably play them in any order and not miss out. There are of course twists and callbacks throughout to reward those who play them in order. The one absolute rule is for the two massive DLC expansions. Xenoblade 1 (Future Connected, play after 1), Xenoblade 2 (Torna - to be played after 2) and Xenoblade 3 (Future Redeemed - to be played only after playing EVERYTHING else as it wraps up the trilogy).

Xenoblade 2 put off a lot of people with it’s anime-ness and big tidday girls (not me, but eh). Xenoblade 3…doesn’t have that.

It’s serious and is set in the midst of an eternal war between two nations. Each inhabitant of this world is born at age 10, trained as a soldier to fight, and then either die on the battlefield or live long enough to die at age 20 by force. Both nations rely on the life force of the other side to live - hence the war.

The story concerns two groups (three from either side) from opposing sides who join together with the aim to live longer than their artificially reduced lifespans - of the two main protagonists, one (Mio) has only three months remaining. This is the crux of the story, really.

best bet to see if you’d like it are these two videos I took. The first is the first 15 minutes of the game - it introduces the world, scenario, characters, and also introduces the gameplay part-by-part. NO SPOILERS in any of these, I promise.

https://youtu.be/7DtxCIM3XJQ

The battle system is gradually introduced throughout, at a pretty good pace (eg. chain attacks, transformations, combos, class changing). It ends up sometimes chaotic, but always fun. You can stay as a healer with a rifle, swap to a martial arts class and attack with your fists, or change to a tank class for each characters, for example. You also recruit computer playable heroes throughout the game who offer new classes and weapons.

Chain attacks are an entirely other thing, relying on measured logic and number skills. The other main draw is the story - this game takes some pretty dark turns. Your mileage may vary though, depending on your tolerance for cutscenes. There’s still 100+ hours of actual gameplay easily and the sidequests and community supports are all actually well thought out.

and this is a short video showing the scale of the world (one of 9 massive regions - there’s another desert, a canyon and a forest halfway up a mountain trail in this one. The sword in the distance holds a city at its peak. There’s also an ocean that has a rocket powered boat to traverse, or you could just swim it), plus a short battle with 7 team members:

https://youtu.be/l5Fe_saXoxo

lastly I guess, if you’re a dr who fan (who knows?), it may interest you that Jenna Coleman voices the Kevesi Queen.

anyhow the game is cool imo. I got the first Xenoblade a week before the UK launch date in August 2011 as I ran a Blockbuster at the time (Xenoblade was localised by Nintendo UK and came out here, Europe and Australia a mere year after Japan. NOA refused to launch it in America, until a petition forced their hand another year later). It blew me away, and the remastered Definitive Version is a classic. The fact that Nintendo UK localised it is why it has its unique UK focused VA throughout. The regions in the games are Welsh, Scottish, etc. It adds a huge amount of character that American voiced games lack imo.

Worth giving a shout out to Xenoblade X (outside of the trilogy’s storyline), which still has the largest world of any game I’ve ever known, eternally stuck on the Wii U. That’s a fucking mental game and I don’t even know where to start with it. If you like Xenoblade, mech battles/flights and Attack on Titan’s soundtrack (sawano), then it’s the game for you.

anyhow back to Xenoblade 3, you may hate it who knows but… hopefully this does sell a few people on it.

Your turn

• pipariturbiini@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

You like cool space stuff? Science fiction? Exploration? Games that don’t hold your hand? Wonderfully crafted experiences? Mysteries to solve? Existential crisis? “A-ha!” moments?

Outer Wilds is the game. If you answered “yes” to at least three questions, give it a try - you will probably love it.

Thing is, you can’t really explain much about Outer Wilds without getting into spoilers, as the whole point of the game is to explore the game’s solar system, figure out environmental puzzles and read ancient texts of a long-gone civilization to solve a mystery that you find yourself tangled in.

It is simply the most fascinating game I have ever played - it’s amazingly well-thought as an experience, every little thing neatly fits together. And there is no right or wrong way to play - after the ‘tutorial’, the game never tells you what to do or where to go next. It is all up to your curiosity and interests. Stuck on exploring one planet? Go investigate something else. You’ll probably find answers to help your exploration on the original planet! Any way you go about exploration, you will find revelations and eventually reach the game’s amazing finale.

Furthermore, if you know what to do, you can complete the game in around 10 minutes. Outer Wilds is a 15-30 hour game. There are no powerups or tools to unlock - knowledge is what gates you from answers and is what allows you to progress.

Beautiful.

• Mummelpuffin@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I just wish people weren’t so adamant about the whole “no spoilers” thing with it. It sort of soured my time with it when I finished the intro and was kinda just like… oh, it’s the Majora’s Mask thing. That’s the big mind-blowing twist people are talking about.

I guess what I’m saying is thanks for just talking about what actually makes it so unique / impressive.

• pipariturbiini@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

That’s not really “the mind-blowing twist”, it’s just the game’s main mechanic - even the Steam page flat-out says you are stuck in a time loop. There are several big discoveries in the story that you may find to be “twists” depending on how you explore.

• thepaperpilot@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

To expand on what pipariturbiini said, the game is about discovery and knowledge, so any spoiler you look up is directly removing a part of the game experience for you. I’m sorry your experience was tainted by the advice to not seek out spoilers, but overall I think it does help ensure most people have the optimal experience.

• Great Meh
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Very well said. One of the greatest Games of all Time. You can go to everything you see in a Solar System and explore it. The conclusion is imho also pretty Epic. Go play it if you haven’t yet.

• Befernafardofo@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Man, outer wild is such a magic experience, probably the most unique game I have ever played. I always get so nostalgic thinking about it. Can’t wait to play it again in 10 years when I’ll finally forget everything about it!