What are you some underrated or lesser known science fiction movies that you recommend?

I’ve never met anyone that has seen this movie despite it being relatively recent and with some popular actors, but I’d highly recommend Prospect (2018). https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7946422/

It’s not a very big budget movie, but it has great aesthetics I think and an engaging story. I’m looking for some new science fiction movies to watch either old or new.

• heavyboots@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Prospect is amazing for the sense of environment it gives, the story is pretty good and Pedro Pascal is absolutely great in it, plus the girl is no slouch either. I like it enough I ordered the blue ray of it immediately after seeing it the first time.

Buckaroo Banzai is another one everyone should see at least once. So very weird, but also a lot of fun! “Laugha while you can, a-monkey boy!”

Also, Timecrimes (2007) is a small movie out of Spain about what NOT to do if you find yourself stuck in a time loop. (And of course, this isn’t exactly unknown but Terry Gilliam’s 12 Monkeys is one of my all time favorites about time travel in case anyone hasn’t seen that yet for some reason.)

• PhilWheat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

My favorite Buckaroo Banzai quote is from the intro. “Don’t tug on that, you don’t know what it’s hooked to.” The perfect motto to live by while maintaining legacy software systems. :-)