Independent Sen. Bernie Sanders said Sunday he doesn’t know that a ceasefire is possible in the Israel-Hamas war with “an organization like Hamas” involved.

“I don’t know how you can have a ceasefire, (a) permanent ceasefire, with an organization like Hamas, which is dedicated to turmoil and chaos and destroying the state of Israel,” Sanders told CNN’s Dana Bash on “State of the Union” Sunday.

• WaxedWookie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Who is proposing ignoring Hamas? It’s a ceasefire - not a new concept, and certainly not one that depends on ignoring the counterparty to that ceasefire.

Israel has been the primary aggressor here for decades, and unless I’m mistaken, has propped up Hamas over the more secular, reasonable PLO tp establish this pretext for the genocide they’re now attempting to carry out.

Hamas are murderous jihadis, but they’re a product of Israel’s hostility and decisions to prop them up. Hamas are armed with small arms and a paraglider, Israel has a nuclear arsenal and F-35s. Depending on the count you use, over the past few decades, Palestinian casualties have outnumbered Israeli casualties between dozens to one and 500:1. The UN has called Israel’s management of Palestine an open air concentration camp, and we’ve seen Israel’s response to the Hamas attack has already carelessly killed many more times more people - particularly children than Hamas did - they’ve shut off food, water, and supplies, they’ve shut down movement, they’ve pushed them out of their homes, they’ve bombed hospitals and refugee camps.

Who is the overwhelming military force that’s killing all the innocent civilians here? But yeah - Hamas are escalating this.

You want to defend Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the Nazis, Chinese expansionism, and the US war on terror while you’re at it with the monstrous shit takes, my dude?