‘It’s not you, it’s me’ is the gist of college student qualms with dating apps. Hook-up culture declines while young people search for genuine connection.

• gohixo9650
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

app sponsored AI bots to lure people into paying premium

sorry but what do you mean? Can you please explain?

• pinkdrunkenelephants@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

The apps can literally just use AIs to pretend to be real people convincingly to get people to pay for a premium membership to presumably be able to arrange a meetup. After they pay for premium, they’re ghosted, and it’s too late to get their money back.

Among other things

• slurpeesoforion@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Or have the AI pretend to be the other person for a pair it calculates to match. After the two meet they’ll figure out there was an AI middle man catfishing them both. They’ll have a laugh and live happily ever after.

• gohixo9650
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

lol or “pay to win”. Pay to have an AI reply for you that will guarantee to get the conversation going

• gohixo9650
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

yes, and how long until this be known? If the company self-sabotage itself so profoundly it will just be the end of the company. I’m not saying that their end goal is to survive forever, but this is incredibly shortsighted.

• pinkdrunkenelephants@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

People would still use the apps anyway or use them specifically to talk to AIs. An AI-driven app that is honest about what it is would probably do a lot more to help than anything else, come to think of it. 🤔

• I Cast Fist@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Pretty much what pinkdrunkenelephants said earlier, but more likely just fake profiles that are filled with “interesting” random tidbits. On the off case that they match, some conversation might happen and I’d actually bet on the bot eventually ghosting or coming up with an excuse to leave the person and wishing them luck, which more easily avoids being found out and also has a good chance of keeping the person in the app.

• gohixo9650
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

still not get it. You imply that these “premium messages” will be messages by AI bot accounts ?

• gohixo9650
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

and what does it prevent them to do the same thing now? In both cases, sooner or later the real users will figure out they are bot accounts. I don’t get how the company will benefit if they have a series of angry users when they realize that the messages were from bots all along? Or are they gonna keep the bar so high that the end users will never realize that they were bot accounts.

• Dkarma@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

Gets u to buy premium. That’s all they care about. They know many users will drop after a short time anyway. Get $15 from everyone while u can.