link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

The United Nations secretary general, António Guterres, said on Monday that 89 employees of the U.N. agency aiding Palestinian refugees, known as UNRWA, had been killed in Gaza in the month of war between Israel and Hamas.

That is more “than in any comparable period in the history of our organization,” he told reporters at U.N. headquarters in New York, adding that many of the employees had been killed with members of their family.

On Sunday, the leaders of United Nations agencies and other humanitarian groups issued a joint statement calling for an immediate cease-fire, saying, “Enough is enough.

In the statement, they expressed “shock and horror” at the loss of life and called for the immediate release of hostages taken during the Hamas attacks in Israel last month.

It also said it lost four paramedics working for the Palestinian Red Crescent Society in Gaza as they treated casualties from the bombardment and tried to bring the wounded to the hospital.

The signatories included Martin Griffiths, the U.N.’s chief official for humanitarian and relief affairs, and Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director general of the World Health Organization.

The original article contains 502 words, the summary contains 187 words. Saved 63%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!