• RubberBandMan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I keep hearing more and more (overwhelming) positive praise regarding that client. I’ll stick with daily TestFlight Memmy though, I don’t know if I could ever use an app that calls itself ‘wef wef’

• TheSaneWriter@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It’s changing it’s name to Voyager, if that helps. It now has registered and linked the domain vger.app and the actual renaming should happen sometime in the next few days.

• RubberBandMan@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Wait, really? Thank god! Cool name too, sounds like a callback to Apollo.

Guess I won’t have to have that awkward conversation with my friends where I try to explain that the client I’m using is not “Reddit for furries”

• TheSaneWriter@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I also like the new name. I use Android so I’ve never used Apollo, but Voyager is definitely one of my favorite ways to use Lemmy right now, I like the gesture controls and how intuitive everything feels, and it gets better every update.

• Mythril@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

I have an Android phone, but also an iPad, so I used to use Sync and Apollo. The best thing about Wefwef / Voyager is that I can use the same app on both devices now!

• TheSaneWriter@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Indeed, cross platform apps are convenient. PWAs often get a bad rap, but I think Voyager has implemented it pretty well.

• astropenguin5@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Yeah same here, I used the official app (disgusting I know) because I didn’t mind it that much and also am on Android, but I really like wefwef/voyager. Only complaint is I don’t particularly like the apple aesthetic but I’ve heard there will be an option to change that soon

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Tbh the main reason I posted was because wefwef has basically the exact same UI as Apollo and was made by the same developer. Also apparently it’s changing it’s name to Voyager as I learned from other comments on this post

• 001100 010010@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I just don’t like dealing with google’s shenanigans. Like tracking, but most importantly, the potential of content manipulation. Google is already trying to stop adblocking in youtube, maybe they’ll try to fuck with that. They also like to recomment to you conspiracy theories if you, say, watch even one political video. Firefox, while open source, still relies on google play to get distributed, so you never know if they’re adding trackers and other shit to it. Fennec uses F-Droid to be distributed. And Fennec is actually maintained by Mozilla, the same organization that maintains Firefox. You should use Fennec, it’s essentially the same as Firefox, but makes tracking harder.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

is google a part of the actual development on firefox tho? It would only by distributed by google play on a google phone im pretty sure, on my laptop I downloaded and installed it directly from their website, and use ublock origin on both my computer and phone to limit tracking and ads. for me specifically google messing with youtube adblocking and such is less of an issue because my phone is mostly google anyways unfortunately, plus i have a youtube premium subscription becuase i dont think theres a way to block ads on the phone app and i also like youtube music.

• jcg@halubilo.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Basically nothing of unique value really comes from Reddit the company. Their platform is easily replicable (as you can see from the MANY Reddit clones other than Lemmy) and their staff are glorified powermods and repost bots. The only thing Reddit has of value is its communities, and those got where they are despite Reddit’s best efforts.

• Square Singer@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Interestingly, infinity still works. I didn’t update as they asked me to, and it’s still fully functional.

Reddit lost me though.

• Agin@forum.basedcount.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I used Infiniti myself but yeah, I missed the old Reddit after the crackdown on free speech in 2018. I left months before APIpocalypse and I’ll never return.

• Selmafudd@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s day 4 and I still have nfi how to browse properly here… Im loving being lost again

• Selmafudd@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Narh nothing specific just general navigation between different instances and communities and then how to filter the content so I don’t comment on a 2 year old post which was the first post in my feed which may or may not have already happened…

• A_Very_Big_Fan@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

You want to sort by “Active” or “Hot” to see newer posts. Or something like “Top of the Day/Week”. If you want, you can change what your feed defaults to in your settings at the top. (This also applies to Lemmy apps.) You can also change the default filter type on your feed to “Subscribed” if you want it to be like Reddit, where by default it just shows you communities you’re subscribed to across all instances.

As for navigation, yeah it’s a hot mess rn. I feel like when someone posts a link that goes to a different Lemmy instance than the one you’re currently using, there needs to be a button or something attached to it to open that link inside your current instance, instead of taking you away to one you aren’t logged into. But I’m willing to bet that apps like Jerboa or Liftoff will solve this soon if Lemmy doesn’t do it first.