• 001100 010010@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I just don’t like dealing with google’s shenanigans. Like tracking, but most importantly, the potential of content manipulation. Google is already trying to stop adblocking in youtube, maybe they’ll try to fuck with that. They also like to recomment to you conspiracy theories if you, say, watch even one political video. Firefox, while open source, still relies on google play to get distributed, so you never know if they’re adding trackers and other shit to it. Fennec uses F-Droid to be distributed. And Fennec is actually maintained by Mozilla, the same organization that maintains Firefox. You should use Fennec, it’s essentially the same as Firefox, but makes tracking harder.

• astropenguin5@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

is google a part of the actual development on firefox tho? It would only by distributed by google play on a google phone im pretty sure, on my laptop I downloaded and installed it directly from their website, and use ublock origin on both my computer and phone to limit tracking and ads. for me specifically google messing with youtube adblocking and such is less of an issue because my phone is mostly google anyways unfortunately, plus i have a youtube premium subscription becuase i dont think theres a way to block ads on the phone app and i also like youtube music.