• hardypart@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The whole posting and commenting culture is so much better here. I haven’t had a single argument with anyone since I’m here and I’m a pretty active user.

• jonatan83@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

It’s one of the benefits of being a tiny fraction of a sliver of the size of reddit. It’s also something that would change if people actually migrate to lemmy.

• JoelJ@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Sadly I fear you’re right. It is nice while it lasts though, it takes me back to the early days of reddit

• gooddaytodayhere@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Yes. It’s mad to me that two weeks ago I could sort by new and keep up (apart from NSFW). Now I can’t. Albeit my instance disappeared last night so I’m rebuilding again

• BrikoX@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Especially if you block the communities you are not interested in you can actually have a good experieicne.

• ngdev@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Been hard-lurking (no account) here for a few weeks, made an account finally and this is my first comment. I was a hard lurker on Reddit too, but that was because most of the interactions I’ve had were… bad.

Definitely seems to be a gentler place, really enjoying the Summit app, it reminds me of Boost. I’ve got an unRAID server I was thinking about spinning up a Lemmy docker container on, but there’s not a ton of info on this specific implementation, so I will likely wait for an unRAID community app to do that more easily.

Anyway, cheers from an ex-lurker!

• eleitl@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

As long as you do it on your subscribed communities. With the volume going up time to become more focused: /c/technology noise level is getting too high.

• Paradox@lemdro.id
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Had to do this with reddit too, if you joined early enough. Small subs got big and noisy

• eleitl@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I was on Reddit since the beginning. It was mailing lists before and Usenet in the 1990s.

Lemmy now is how early Reddit used to be, only more jaded.

• EdibleFriend@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

i am honestly gonna kinda miss sorting things like /r/LPT by rising and new. The kind of things people would post would make me feel so much better about my intelligence level.

• RedCowboy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

LPT: You should brush your teeth every day

1st comment: You should be using toothpaste!

Reply to 1st comment: The real LPT is always in the comments

Reply to reply to 1st comment: an essay about how their grandmother used to always brush her teeth everyday before tragically passing away

• EdibleFriend@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

and then the ones that DO take off annoy me so much as well. 99% of that subreddit is just ‘if you slightly reword a sentence from now on it will CHANGE YOUR LIFE’

• Django@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Unrelated question, Can I join communities from other servers? or am I limited to lemmy.world communities only?

• Seperis@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Sweet Roko’s Basilisk, so I wasn’t missing some mysterious reddit setting where I ‘new’ was translated as ‘wtf’ and ‘crap’?

It’s a whole new world.

• Rhoeri@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Yeah. Sort by new on Reddit and it’s tons of cringy weebsimps. I could block those subs fast enough. So much better here.

• mrmanager@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I think we are just more into tech, and that’s why we are here now. Because we are into tech, we care about what happens here and despise the behavior of reddit.

We are probably not smarter than other people, we just care more because of our interests.

Also a lot of us remember growing up on a internet without ads and corporations, and miss that experience.