• What book is currently on your nightstand?
  • Who is the author?
  • What genre?
  • How do you like it?
  • Would you recommend it to others?
  • conciselyverbose@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I put the Stormlight Archive 1-3 (as one book on kindle) onto my reader and after a solid week of camping with at least a few hours a day it says I’m 16% of the way in. Holy F this is long. I check goodreads and it says 3800 pages.

It’s compelling, though. There are times when I want to know what’s going on in another arc and they take a little while to get there, but from a character receiving ethics lessons while contemplating betraying the teacher to a powerful lord contemplating whether he’s receiving divine guidance or going insane, I never quite know what anyone is going to do. The cultures are weird (though you can see parts inspired by various cultures around the world and historically), and the magic is building out nicely.

• brcl@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m a huge fan of Sanderson, especially his Stormlight Archive books. I’ve read them all and am going back piece by piece to re-read them.

• conciselyverbose@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’m really enjoying it. It’s just a touch too much for me to follow at my typical 2x speed audiobook rate, so I’m reading it as an ebook instead and I have a lot less time I can read that way. It’s going to take me a fucking while to get through. But of the characters we’ve seen depth with so far, I really can identify with a lot of them. Maybe not Sadeas (I can “see”, but also not), but Kaladin, Dalinar, Adolin, Jasnah, Shallan, I can see where they’re all coming from and why they see the choices they do.

Also I really want to play a video game as whatever Szeth is called. It would be tough to execute but it could be really fun.