Hello everyone! If you have not yet seen it, @ernest has handed over moderation to @Drusas @Entropywins @ Frog-Brawler (the tag system consistently messes up the link to FB’s username lol) and myself here in !politics.

First order of business is for you all to weigh in on the community guidelines that you would like to see here. As the mod team, we will weigh all suggestions and then add them to the side bar as magazine/community rules. I’m going to give about 48 hours for users to see this thread and add a comment or discuss.

Please know that the goal is not to create an echo chamber here in !politics, but we want to ensure that there is not an encroachment of rage bait and toxicity. It brings down the quality of the magazine and it discourages community engagement.

For the time being, the mod tools are pretty sparse, so I want to manage expectations about the scope of moderation we’re able to do right now. For now, our touch will be light. Expect increased functionality as time progresses, though. We have 3 weeks of reports on file, so please know we see them. Give us some time to establish how to handle those before you start to see any movement.

• Drusas@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This sort of question is why this thread was created. I’m in favor of a zero tolerance policy for fascism, bigotry, and anything that is clearly misinformation. But that’s my personal opinion and we’ll all be working together to decide on what the community wants and what works best. Rules can also be altered as we grow, of course, if our initial guidelines aren’t sufficient.

• EffectivelyHidden@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Obviously I’m 100% in the camp of “you have to ignore their reasonable arguments because their end goal is to be terrible, awful people.”

Sadly I joined this conversation late, so we will see if others filter in.

I’m very curious as to what sort of community the fedaverse as a whole has cultivated after the reddit exodus.

• Drusas@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I don’t disagree, based on the harm that is being done. You may see me comment in that regard, but if moderation rules end up being more lenient than I am personally, based on feedback, that’s what I’ll do as a moderator. It’s about what the community wants and needs in order for genuine discussion to thrive.

• Machinist3359@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Your decisions shape the community, though ;). Too lenient you’ll be reporting to trolls who demand more leniency.

I’m team zero-fash tolerance. It’s the fediverse, they can go kick rocks in gabbit or whatever they spin up.

• HandsHurtLoL@kbin.socialOP
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I’m quite positively bolstered by the number of users advocating for a zero-tolerance policy regarding fascism in the magazine.

I have added preliminary community guidelines into the side bar and have made an overt stance regarding neo-nazism, white supremacy, and fascism.

Thanks for weighing in!

• HandsHurtLoL@kbin.socialOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Within reason, given my personal values, I too am willing to be a bit more lenient if that’s what the community wants. Taking on mod responsibilities shouldn’t become my entire life (nor any of the other mods on the team now) and part of that is letting the userbase self-regulate up until a user’s presence becomes disruptive.