• BilboBargains@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

You would never buy a car if you were involved in making it. We have a vehicle that dumps all its coolant on the road as you drive your brand new car back from the dealership. Making cars is difficult.

• Amir @lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I worked at a major automaker’s Factory. We built 6 different vehicles with atleast 3 hardware configurations. Then plus other various options. At the same time. One vehicle must be done each minute.

Obviously when the vehicles approached my station, it was incomplete from previous station/ department, with all kinds of components randomly thrown in the middle floor.

Filled with stress, continuously. Made no rational or logical sense as the approach of production caused so many faults.

Complete dissapointing & my trust for this brand have evaporated. Becouse managements & bosses don’t care about people’s opinions.

Not one car finishes that line without fault.

cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I shouldn’t be dropping dime on my employer but the name rhymes with Grover. Needless to say, I don’t use their products, but every day I try to make them a little better. My miniscule contribution to the product has never contributed a cent to the warranty burden because unreliable machines are an abomination. Sometimes we make mistakes but there’s a reason why Japanese automotive became ascendent in the 80s, on average they’re more reliable.

cake
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Jaguar started a huge push to improve their reliability in the 90-00s and were largely successful, given their JD Power ranking. Land Rover have always been lackluster in this regard but are making positve change. Nobody can afford to make unreliable cars, apart from niche OEM such as Ferrari.

In the UK, a freedom of information request revealed the most successful car of all time in annual roadworthiness test (MOT) is the humble Toyota Corolla. I bought a well maintained one on the basis of this report. It had 80k on the clock. The doors clanged when I shut them. It developed a mysterious water leak that would fill the footwell when it rained. It consumed alarming quantities of oil between services. At 100k the piston rings failed and the car was beyond economic repair. Searching the internet for clues I found many Corrolas that met the same fate and a cottage industry sprang up to marry good chassis with refurbished engines. Even the mighty Toyota gets it wrong sometimes.