The virtual school says its hands are tied due to Florida’s “don’t say gay” law. However, the teacher has lodged a complaint against it.

• jettrscga@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I’m not saying it is, but it should be enough to start a discussion on whether there’s a better, more easily pronouncable term while we’re in a discussion about titles.

• AppleJuiceGoblin@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

If I really think about it, what makes Mr. Or Ms. any easier to pronounce? They are actually a bit less intuitive because they are abbreviations.

As far as two letters go, I feel like Mx. is just one step removed from Mix, so it seems easy to me. Perhaps Mr. and Ms. are just easier to accept because we have lived with them our whole life. A lot of the English language seems weird when we step outside of it.

• jettrscga@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Mr. is derived from master and Ms. is derived from mistress. Their pronunciation is derived from their etymology.

I agree though that common usage plays a part.

• ABCDE@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Master and Mr are different in usage, the former for young people (under 18).

Ms is pronounced with the /z/ sound, not the ‘s’ in mistress.

• EmpathicVagrant@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Ms. Mrs. And Miss are all from mistress apparently, and Ms. (MIZ) was used to address a woman regardless of marital status.

Today I learned.

• RGB3x3@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I’m all for the “Ey”, “em”, “eir” pronouns, but I don’t have a stake in the game.

For example,

Ey worked as a teacher for the school until ey was fired for using neutral pronouns. Eir opinion stated in an interview was that e will not change how e refers to emself.

English needs gender neutral pronouns because they can be useful in a situation such as needing to refer to a person named Smith, but don’t know their gender. (“They, them, their” should be reserved for groups, imo).

“Mey.” Or “Mer.” could be the solution for a title in this situation.

• CoggyMcFee@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Seems a hell of a lot easier to just use “they/them” as we already do. If it were too confusing, it would evolve into something else naturally anyway. German gets by just fine with “they” and the formal form of “you” being the same. I think we’ll be fine.

• Mirshe@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Singular they has existed for centuries, and been used that way for centuries. In normal usage, it should be obvious from context whether you’re using singular or plural.