link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Disgusting that the shutdown note tried to play off their serious issues with grooming and sexual abuse and claim they did a lot. Fuck that asshole.

Edit: Uh oh I’m being downvoted by his fan boys. The article (and successful lawsuit) say’s exactly what I’m saying and anyone who at scale enables mass sexual abuse of children is an asshole. Omegle had no other uses for most of its existence, hypotheticals sure but as the article mentions in practice it was overwhelmingly full of naked men trying to find women and children to interact with sexually. The site runner was flagrantly negligent.

Gosh I love certain types, you’ll rightly jump on a pastor who looked the other way for sexual abuse happening in his church as being responsible, yet a guy who runs a big website for years full of abuse is taken at his word as a sweet, innocent, helpless, benevolent advocate for a better web because he talks right. (Never mind he deliberately obfuscated the horrors happening on his website with his closing statement which people here ate up. It takes a lot to lose safe harbor)

• GBU_28@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago
      1. The design of the website clearly had serious issues. As example, the matchmaking should have been massively reworked.

2. They can’t account for people lying about their age. She started using the platform at 11. I’d be curious to know what profile info she did enter, and what age that displayed her as.

3. As a child, ultimately her parents are responsible. They should be held accountable for putting their child in danger.

4. The groomer was a predator, same as if lurking on the playground. They must be charged to the maximum possible.