Hey everyone, just had a wonderful experience going out in my local city and coming back using Uber. Anyone wanna chat about meeting ppl post university and integrating into you local community?

• Chloyster [she/her]@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Things were pretty rough for me socially after I graduated. I immediately started to work at a job in town, while all my friends I made at school left. Then 6 months later the lockdowns started and any hope of meeting locals not from school faded. Fast forward 3 years. This month marks my first pride month being fully out, and I decided it was finally time to meet people again. I volunteered at all our local pride events and ended up meeting a ton of really amazing people. And I’m now planning on being involved beyond pride month and being a part of the org that ran our events

• Faendol@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

That’s awesome! Congratulations on being fully out! I went to university in Canada but come from the states so I had to leave alot of friends behind. I’m trying to figure out how to both keep in touch with my uni friends and meet new ppl at my hometown. I’ve done well enough at work but I need to do a better job talking to people at bars and stuff.

• UprisingVoltage@feddit.it
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Being slighyly drunk is like peak human condition for me. What was your experience, if you don’t mind me asking?

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

May have fallen asleep haha but my hometown has a good local bar / brewery scene that I hadn’t really checked out at all. We ended out abr hopping between a couple of places for my first time before landing at a taco place. It was a lot of fun altho we didn’t end out talking to many new people. Glad I finally got out but next thing is figuring out how to actually meet people while I’m doing it.

• nlm@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Reddit expat like so many others!

Haven’t really touched the fediverse before. I did create a few Mastodon account a few years ago but I was never a big Twitter user so I kind of lost interest. Didn’t know who to follow and so on.

I liked the overall idea but Mastodon wasn’t for me.

Lemmy (and kbin I suppose) though! That’s more like it. For the same reasons I liked reddit. When you get your subscriptions set up and get this really interesting personalized feed it gets really good. I used it mostly as a news aggregator for things I was interested, not so much for the social part.

This though, so far it feels like a mix between reddit and forums. It might just be the smaller population so far but I don’t think that’s the whole truth. I think belonging to a certain instance fosters a closer knit community within it’s borders and I like it. It gives me the feeling I used to get from forums and IRC back in the days.

More about me in particular then?

In a few words… married geeky gamer dad working as a developer and loving the outdoors, especially the woods. Almost to the point that I’m starting to question if I did the right thing when chosing to become a developer. Working with your hobby isn’t always the best thing. I spend enough time in front of a computer in my spare time so… some fresh air during work might’ve been nice.

Oh well, it’s not that bad, the work can be interesting and the people you work with are usually chill. Plus you get a bit more understanding for interesting projects like this.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Nice! I’m a dev too, I’m a gamer and I’d previously been a gymnast so I didn’t have much time / respect yet for the outdoors. I recently signed on with a company in the outdoor industry doing devops and I’ve been taking advantage of my industry discount and picking up more outdoor hobbies. I definitely still like video games but I’ve found they just make me mad recently. I’m really enjoying spending more time outside and having other things to do in my free time.

• nlm@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Oh that sounds like a good deal! Might have to start looking for something like that myself!

Yeah, I don’t really play many stressful games these days or if I do I might lower the difficulty. Mostly focus on story driven games these days with a dash of rpgs in there.

Maybe we’re just getting old? :D

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

It’s definitely possible, I’ve been shifting to more PvE and single player games. I’m finishing up atomic heart right now and I really like it. I’d also absolutely recommend trying to join a company in the outdoor industry. It’s insane what counts as outdoor equipment. Besides the normal stuff grills, smokers and for some reason crocks count. Most of the time it’s 30-45% off.