• ᴇᴍᴘᴇʀᴏʀ 帝@feddit.ukOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Right where to start?

So, as mentioned in this post, the first of many, a well-known and highly-paid BBC presenter has, according to reports coming from The Sun (a British muck-racing tabloid with zero morals or conscience, which may or may not be relevant), been paying tens of thousands of pounds to a teenager for nude pictures. The kid then spent it on drugs.

As this… “arrangement” went back to when the teenager was 17, if nude photos were sent before their 18th birthday then it would count as a sex offence (at least according to commentary I’ve read from.other news sources: you can have sex at 16 but you can’t send nude photos until you are 18). “Nonce” is British slang for a sex offender.

Various presenters have been scrambling to say it wasn’t them as they are in work on Monday but the joke suggests anyone not gainfully employed by the BBC this week might be a bit nervous.

• Danfen@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Being American, they may have meant they don’t know what “booked this week off work” means!

• fades@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Wait what? Nonce is a term for sex offender?? Maybe you mean to say it’s a slang that can mean pedo?

I’ve heard Brits call dummies nonces too. For me, I think of cryptographic nonces when I hear the word lol

• that_ginger_one@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

cryptographic nonces

Until this day I had never seen this term before…time for the Brits to mold it into a cracker of an insult.

and yeah nonce means pedo here; depending on the surrounding swear words

• Afghaniscran@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Apparently it comes from an acronym N.O.N.C.E. - Not On Normal Courtyard Exercise.

Cos y’know, if you’re a nonce you’re getting stabbed in prison, so they don’t go out with everyone else, hence nonce.

• ᴇᴍᴘᴇʀᴏʀ 帝@feddit.ukOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Nonce is an intriguing word with a range of meanings, I just stuck to the relevant definition.

Wait what? Nonce is a term for sex offender?? Maybe you mean to say it’s a slang that can mean pedo?

It can mean any sex offender, rapists, flashers, etc.

I’ve heard Brits call dummies nonces too.

Took me a bit to figure that one out - dummies as in idiots, not as in soothers you give to babies.

For me, I think of cryptographic nonces when I hear the word lol

That’s a much more recent use, apparently “number used once” but I suspect it falls under “they knew”.