• RampageDon@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Do you ever worry about a malfunction and potentially burning the cat or starting a fire?

• TheOneCurly@lemmy.theonecurly.page
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I have a few of these as well. Electric resistive heating like this is pretty safe. There’s no control logic or anything, just a passive, high resistance wire. If a wire breaks it’s going to just stop working. Unless you plug it in in the wrong country there’s really no way for it to overheat.

Not to mention cats are pretty smart and will just leave when they’re uncomfortable.

• The_v@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Yes, which is why all of them have a fuse on the cord. It’s the same as modern heated blankets.

• Another Catgirl@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

It would need to be a fuse on each branch of the heating element. And even so, sometimes a defect in one line of the heating element causes it to catch on fire anyway due to the concentration of current.

• SkyeStarfall@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

I mean, this depends on the layout of the heating device. It could also just be a metal plate with a single heating element underneath, using metal to distribute the heat.

• davel [he/him]@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

Oh that’s a good idea: cut a thin metal sheet and sandwich it between the heater and the bedding.

• mriormro@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

For me, the worry is always a combination of potentially scratching through any protective insulation layer and then some type of accidental moisture (either urine or water). I’m a little too paranoid to keep them around.