• IMongoose@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

No, you’re right. Infinity war is the better movie but endgame was the better event. Endgame is almost a perfect fanservice movie and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

• criticon@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Infinity war is not that good either. Everything is preventable but the heroes forgot how to heroe and make very bad decisions

• Bonehead@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Everything is preventable but the heroes forgot how to heroe and make very bad decisions

Welcome to every single movie that’s ever been produced. Most things in movies could be prevented if the heroes just made reasonable decisions. But then you wouldn’t have a movie, so heroes have to be stupid at just the right moment to make the movie work.

• MotoAsh@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Nahh, that’s just cheap Hollywood shit that’s written so poorly.

It’s hard to tell living in the US, because our media is dominated by Hollywood. You only get to see the one or two gems that get shat out randomly once a decade sitting amongst a giant field of dumbed down Disney fairy tales. That’s if the gems were even advertised all that well in the first place. So much ADD advertising that spoils the climax of the movie ‘and’ gives you the wrong idea of the plot, it’s impossible to tell what’s actually good without watching it.

• MotoAsh@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              8 months ago

Hmm, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen a movie in theaters, let alone a hidden gem or grossly misadvertised one. I try to avoid ads like the plague.

The only recentish thing that comes to mind is Barbarian, but I don’t think I even saw an ad for it. Not one I paid attention to. Just went randomly, it was not as expected, and we had fun not taking it too seriously anyways, which seems appropriate for that movie.

Others elsewhere in the convo are making some banger recommends, though.

• rotopenguin@infosec.pub
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Go watch Die Hard, The Day Of The Jackal, Rope, Seven Samurai, The Martian. It is possible to write a movie that isn’t moved forward by passing around the idiot ball. Characters can take reasonable actions, and still have stuff go wrong and have to take new reasonable actions to adjust.

• Bonehead@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Go watch Die Hard

If the hero just minded his own business and did nothing, no one dies and his wife is never in danger but millions of dollars worth of bonds are stolen. It’s a fair trade off, and might have even saved their marriage.

The Day Of The Jackal

Based on a book with no actual heroes. Just a cold-blooded assassination attempt. This isn’t the type of movie I’m referring to, though I should have said “almost every single movie…” or “hero movies”.

Rope

Uh…yeah…

In the play, two homosexual college students become fascinated by their philosophy professor’s ideas about the “innate superiority” of some people over others. Convinced they have found a victim who is inferior to them, they murder him, conceal his body in an unlocked trunk in their apartment, and then throw a dinner party with the trunk as the brazen centerpiece of the living room.

That’s just a whole lot of fucked up. No heroes there, except maybe someone not realizing they are friends with psychopaths that have a dead body in their living room.

Seven Samurai

The heroes lose 4 of their own. I’ll give you this one, this is the most realistic depiction of a hero movie.

The Martian

Poor mission planning. They can monitor, predict, and plan for dust storms on Mars today. But in the future, all that goes out the window when humans are involved? This entire scenario depends on someone not doing their job properly.

• AdamBomb@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Agreed. Infinity War was so dumb, I never even bothered to see Endgame. In that sense, it had the same effect on me as The Last Jedi, but at least MCU had an overarching story planned which is more than can be said for the Disney SW trilogy.

• lobut@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Infinity War has its faults. It’s paced a little nonstop and the Wakanda bits are a bit weak. That being said, I saw it ten times in the cinema and it’s the perfect movie for me. I swear – the tail end of Thanos being on Titan to the end of the movie, you can feel how somber it was and I feel that’s because of the connection to the characters. We can always say “oh they’re coming back” but I like to watch the movie on its own and remember just how it felt watching the movie for the first time.

• Resonosity@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Yeah infinity war was better, I knew this the moment Thanos ripped that planet down with the power and space stones