• AVengefulAxolotl@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

The idea of a smart home? Fck yeah. Having it connected to some elses computer (cloud), fck no!

Having a home server only accessible by tailscale vpn, smart vacuum cleaner connected to it, not exposed to the internet, oh boy i love it!

• areyouevenreal@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

You mean CGNAT, right? Cause otherwise the solution to this is obvious.

If you have CGNAT there are ways that involve creating an OpenVPN server in the cloud using AWS or similar platform and connecting a device on your network to that.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Oh yeah, true. I actually found that solution as well (networking isnt really my niche), but found tailscale easier for now.

Thanks for the info tho!

• voxel@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

free?
          public hosting? cloudflare tunnels
          private? zerotier, think of it as a more professional and configurable version of tailscale

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Cloudflare tunnels isnt really a viable option or is it?

I would need to setup all the services for a tunnel that i would like to reach remotely and also streaming is not allowed.

• Willer@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

And: having it locked to the manufacturer('s software), fuck no! Brand does not participate in standardisation? Fuck no!

Im actually ok with having it on s.o. elses computer if this applies.

Oh also: App that flicks a switch cannot be run on potato based system that uses more than an LED would to run, fuck no!