• @guy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    86 months ago

Despite not having the Google Play Store, the slew of apps I can find right now on my Fire TV is really appealing. This article says the new OS will be web focused. In fact, specifically React JS. Android can already do that, plus a lot more native development choices. So I guess this will lead to less app choices. Shame.

I have an app that alters the colours of my TV at night. I can’t imagine that’ll be possible in a web based OS.

• @Khanzarate@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      46 months ago

It’s possible if the OS wants to support it. Current ones limit what OS-level things web apps can do for security reasons, and pipe those higher-risk things through the gated App Store apps instead.

If an OS were using web apps as the primary method of delivering apps, web apps made for it could end up being about as good as native apps. Depends on the decisions they make and the app talent they attract.

• @guy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        36 months ago

I’m doubtful that Amazon would. They tend to keep features minimal. And while web apps often can be as good, I think many developers who do not already have a web app version will not have the resources to develop one just for the Fire TV. Right now it has the benefit of supporting apps that were written for Android native and simply put on this app store too, perhaps with some effort to tweak the UI for TVs, or sideloaded. Major apps, sure, but not all the minor ones

link
          fedilink
          English
          16 months ago

I mean, I’m just going with the article here. React is their main system for it, and it’s a framework for JavaScript, which makes it a web app. Also, they’re specifically leaving android by making their own Linux flavor. That means they lose the benefit of apps written for android, in the same way you can’t just install an android app on Ubuntu. Heck of a lot easier to modify a Linux app to run on another flavor of Linux than it would be to convert to windows, but you still have to modify it.

• @guy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            26 months ago

It’s unlikely you would be making a Linux app. It’s likely that while it is technically Linux under the hood, the OS will be entirely abstracted away, interfaced by an SDK through a layer running on top that controls and sandboxes these web apps.

So if you don’t already have a web app, then you’ve got a lot of work to do.

link
              fedilink
              English
              16 months ago

Sure, yeah, but that’s still what they’re doing. Native android apps aren’t React, so since they’re primarily doing react apps, they’re losing android native apps. I’ve never used React Native myself, but it seems like exactly what you’re saying, and isn’t what android apps are made with.

Amazon is asking app devs to do that work, and so I have to assume that since React is the default app, that they’ll also expose more OS-level things and let the web app actually act like a normal app.

It is just a hope that they do the thing that seems like common sense, but I hope it nonetheless, because they definitely won’t be supporting android apps with it.

• Kid_Thunder
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      6 months ago

I have an app that alters the colours of my TV at night. I can’t imagine that’ll be possible in a web based OS.

It should be able to with no problem. It isn’t that it is web-based but that essentially, a developer can use JavaScript in the React Native framework that exposes the OS. In other words, developers can use JavaScript to do things native apps can do. This isn’t new at all and has been refined for years.

These JS frameworks do have a bad reputation for things like Electron (performance concerns) and node.js (security concerns).

I personally avoid software based on these technologies but then again, I also avoid Amazon devices too but some people love them.

• @guy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        56 months ago

I have very low hopes that Amazon will add features to the SDK that expose the necessary parts of the OS. It’s that interface that matters and I’m almost certain it will be very locked down and minimal. Android has had plenty time to mature; the SDK is massively featureful

• @SpaceNoodle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      06 months ago

Unfortunately, Google does not want that sort of intimate partnership with Amazon, as they see them as a direct competitor. Go read about the YouTube app debacle for even more historical corporate drama.

• @SpaceNoodle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    6 months ago

This makes sense for devices that don’t support a 3P marketplace, like Echo Show, Amazon Glow (RIP), or Astro (WTF are they waiting for?), but could spell disaster for Fire TV and surely for Fire Tablets.