I have a Wordpress site and recently ran into the problem of having too many images for my hosting services. But my job involves photography, so I was wondering where a good starting point would be to set up a physical server in my home to host all my photos for my website on Wordpress. Is that possible? I don’t know where to begin with searching either.

• pokkiff@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I know this is self hosting, but I would probably just drop them in a S3 bucket with static hosting enabled and be done with it. Never have to worry about availability or big transfers eating up your upload at home. Probably wouldn’t cost more than a dollar a month.

• Dave@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

OP, please do this. If you are dealing with other people’s photos professionally, a home server is in no way adequate storage for that except as part of a proper backup policy (3, 2, 1 or something else with redundancy).

• bluestribute@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

My concerns right now are this is the second time I’ve had space issues with my hosting service and when something goes wrong, it’s easy to diagnose which service is causing it (wordpress or host). Do those concerns sound valid for what you’re suggesting?

• zibby@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Id second the s3 idea as youre hosting data for professional reasons. Backblaze and cloudflare also offer s3 compatible storage, when i priced them up for work cloudflare was by far the cheaper option. But iirc their s3 api is still under development and is not ( at the time i used it) feature complete. We had some trouble generating pre-signed urls. But if you just want some place to store data these are worth a look