cross-posted from: https://reddthat.com/post/416454

Am I right to be annoyed that I have two broken spokes after having a reputable shop fix 1 broken spoke a few days ago?

I’m out doing a tour, tomorrow is the last big day - 45ish miles. The rear end felt a little squidgey coming out of the woods this evening. I figured I was low on air but No! Two new broke spokes (rear wheel, drive side, broke off in the J bend, holes are right next to each other).

I got to practice using a fiber fix - and truth be told we aren’t really doing anything rough, so I imagine things will be fine. But… Dang, I wish the shop would have told me the tension was off and I was going to break more - I would have brought another fiber fix!

Btw: fiber fix is a neat little hack. But a PITA to install on the drive side. What finally worked for me was: make a ‘clean’ end by cutting the end I messed up trying the first time. Then, reenforcing the end with super glue and some tape (so the end would hold together while forcing it through the hub hole). A bright light and a tiny Leatherman squirt were required.

• mrfriki@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It sucks. Back in the day when we were serious about off-road routes we used to put some spare spokes in the saddle tube. Never got to use them (it always something else you don’t have spares for what end broken) but was reassuring to have them.

• dave_r@reddthat.comOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, I am quite certain that my wheel came with 3 extras but I never taped them on (or rather off if I did I will be very embarrassed). They’re probably some where in the garage…