• Namstel@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

As a Linux noob I first thought you were just facerolling on your keyboard. But then I read it as b-cache-fs. It’s a new file system, I take it?

• tetris11@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

Features include caching,[4] full file-system encryption using the ChaCha20 and Poly1305 algorithms,[5] native compression[4] via LZ4, gzip[6] and Zstandard,[7] snapshots,[4] CRC-32C and 64-bit checksumming.[3] It can span block devices, including in RAID configurations.

The main takeaway from the article is that the developer’s name is Kent Overstreet, who beat his bitter rival Surrey Underpath, who are both canonically related to famed developer Cornwall Midroad.

• As someone else said, it’s similar to btrfs. bcachefs has a lot of functional overlap with btrfs, which is great. There have also been a few benchmarks showing that bcachesfs is faster for some situations (cold-cache warming, IIRC). One of the big advantages over btrfs is that bcachefs’s RAID is more robust - several of btrfs’s RAID levels have been marked as experimental and prone to data loss, for years. There’s been improvement in btrfs RAID lately; the skeptic in me believes this is directly a result of pressure from bcachefs, which is in a position to become a favored fs in Linux.