• Xavier@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I wish there was a cheap simple laser engraver that could just “burn” black the surface of generic bulk printer paper. As in an inkless monochrome printer.

A bit like How to Cut, Score, and Engrave Paper With a Laser but without the need to use dedicated laser cutter.

With the explosion of interest in 3D printing, machining and laser cutters, I’m just eager to get hold of a printer like that and forever give up on liquid ink and toners of all sorts.

• bufalo1973@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

This does exist and you can see it in almost every supermarket in the World: the ticket printer. And the tickets end up fading

• TheRealLinga@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Back when I used to work as a cashier I would blow my employees mind by heating up random things with my lighter and pressing them onto the paper when nobody was looking. Had everyone thinking the printer was hacked

• stewie3128@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I get the sense that everyone responding to this is completely missing the joke.

They mean laser printers, people.

• mellejwz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

Laser printers don’t burn the paper. They require toners. So it wasn’t a joke unless they also didn’t know how a laser printer works.

• fork@endlesstalk.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

No he clearly says no ink and no toner. Toner is melted onto the paper after a laser (now mostly LEDs) heat up a drum. He’s talking about burning the paper with a laser… Which would be interesting but really hard to do where a top layer is burned black without toasting the rest of the layers.

• Annoyed_🦀 🏅@monyet.cc
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Maybe because they already have dot matrix printer, so that new type of printer might not be high in demand if it’s on the market today.