• Silverseren@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

At 5:35 in the video in OP’s link. People who can read Arabic called them out for what was literally a calendar with days listed. The IDF officer in the video claims it’s a list of signed names from each Hamas member for their shift of guarding the room. But there’s no names on it, it’s just a calendar.

• pewter@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

it’s just a calendar

I’m very skeptical of this claim right here.

I didn’t notice anything specific in the calendar itself, but when I used Google translate, the top of the calendar read:

“For the Battle of Toukan Al-Akher 10/23/7”

I’m assuming the date is October 7, 2023 and it’s the result of Google mistranslating from Arabic, but that doesn’t sound like a typical calendar.

I feel like people are trying to pretend the hostages were held nowhere.

EDIT: I zoomed in and translated again. I think Toukan was Toufan and this meant “Battle of Al-Aqsa Flood”, obviously in reference to the Al Aqsa mosque and using the terminology that Palestinians use to describe October 7th.

• dannoffs@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

The top line says “Battle of Al-Aqsa flood 10/7/23” but if you translate the rest of what’s on that page its just the day of the week and date in each square. The IDF propagandist explicitly claims in the video that it is a guard shift list with people’s names on it which is a blatant lie.

• pewter@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

Yes, I agree. I noticed the days and saw no names. He seems to be wrong about what it says, but people in this thread seem to be wrong about it just being some random calendar.

I don’t like to replace wrong information with wrong information.

• pewter@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              8 months ago

The day isn’t “marked” like in a calendar cell. It’s the title of the calendar.

The days are crossed off with a yellow highlighter until November 3rd. From what I know, it’s unclear why they stopped marking on that day.

• shatal@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

You’re right, good catch.

It’s a very strange mistake to make on their part, I assume the IDF has many Arabic speakers.

It’ll be very interesting to see how everything else in the video will unfold.

• Unaware7013@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

It’s a very strange mistake to make on their part

No its not, its purposeful disinformation from a group trying to justify war crimes.

• NoneOfUrBusiness@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Occam’s razor applies here, and so we look for the simplest, most likely explanation (going by past example). And that explanation is Israeli misinformation. They’ve done it before.

• Threeme2189@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Are you serious? The simplest explanation is misinformation and not an honest mistake or slip of the tongue? The person presenting the information doesn’t speak fluent English and most likely doesn’t speak fluent Arabic either.

• NoneOfUrBusiness@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

The simplest explanation is misinformation and not an honest mistake or slip of the tongue?

Considering that:

1-The Israeli government is notorious for using misinformation when it fits their purposes,

2-They have fluent Arabic speakers who could’ve easily checked the evidence, and

3-There’s no way to mistake a calendar for a list of Hamas soldiers,

the answer is yes. It’s like if Russia was caught lying with faked evidence and then said “oh it was a mistake”.