• Knusper@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

In other words, in OCaml, you don’t have to write type annotations into the function parameter list. It will infer even those.

It’s useful for small ad-hoc functions, but personally, I’m glad that Rust is more explicit here.

• voxel@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

yeah structs, consts ets should always be explicit, prevents a lot oh headache
          also, for adhoc stuff rust has closures which can be fully inferred (but you need to convert them to explicit function pointers for storage in structs/consts)

• fl42v@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

It’s not like it’s more limited, it’s just so that it can yell at you when you return not what you said you’re going to, IMO

• meteokr@community.adiquaints.moe
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

Feel like this joke would work better with TS | JS. Since that’s the point of the former. I don’t know how rust and ocaml are related?

• Knusper@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

The initial creator of Rust, Graydon Hoare, took lots of inspiration from OCaml. In fact, the first Rust compiler was written in OCaml.

• charje@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

JS doesn’t do any type inference. Ocaml Connor l type checker knows all the types and is completely type safe without type annotations.

• Magister@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I remember learning Caml in (French) university in 1996, it was brand new and from INRIA guys, I understood about nothing about it :)