It comes up almost every year now. Personally… This feels so easy to fix. Just send someone out in front of Brundle to gauge everyone’s interest, or just tell him to back off a bit when he meets legitimate resistance. Why manufacturer drama like this? The sport just doesn’t need it in my opinion. He had two opportunities to not do what he did this weekend, but he pressed on.

Sure, it’s historical and all. But it just feels a little greasy to essentially force an interview on someone. Who is to say that Brundle can demand someone interview with him? Why are we owed that? I like Brundle and his way of interviewing, but I feel like he needs to be more respectful of those that aren’t there to be interviewed. We don’t own celebrities and no one is owed an interview simply because a celebrity decided to attend a race.

Thoughts?

• PriorProject@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

… it’s an explicit part of the deal now (after Miami) that if you want to be on the grid that you have to be willing to be interviewed…

Though I agree with your broader point that the grid is a restricted area that is hosting a media event and it’s a bit ridiculous to get surprised-pikachu about media interacting with you there… Martin was likely stretching a bit when he said there are now rules indicating that everyone has to be available to interview. In 2021, bodyguards were forbidden from the grid after the incident with Megan Thee Stallion. This makes it easier for media to approach celebrities, but doesn’t obligate them to participate. I linked to reporting on this in my top-level comment.

That said, I’d have no objection to a rule that DOES require participation. They’re on the grid in a promotional capacity. Expecting participation in a 30s interview is not bizarre.