• BilliamBoberts@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I’m genuinely curious what you expect Biden should do other than ask Netanyahu and the leaders of Hamas to agree to a ceasefire? No shade what so ever. I just dont see what options he has to sway these two sovereign nations.

• Alteon@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

He asks Israel for ceasefire. Then he cuts funding if they don’t listen. Israel will do literally anything to maintain that pipeline of cash.

No one is asking for them to disarm, or allow Hamas to strike. People are just asking for Israel to stop with the warcrimes while support groups can figure out how to aid the Palestinians.

• Buelldozer@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Then he cuts funding if they don’t listen.

Then Israel cuts political funding and a whole pile of Democrats lose their next election. Most people have ZERO idea how much political power AIPAC has in the United States.

President Joe “I am a Zionist” Biden won’t be cutting a damn thing.

AIPAC has bent and twisted US Domestic politics for it’s own benefit for at least the last twenty years and party doesn’t matter.

Democrat 1

Democrat 2

Republican 1

Republican 2

Literally every President and Vice President and the major POTUS candidates for at least the past two decades has spoke at AIPAC. Biden, Trump, Obama, Bush Jr, Dick Cheney, Hillary Clinton, John McCain, and Sarah Palin. ALL of them.

Kamala Harris? Yup.

New Speaker of the House Mike Johnson? AIPAC was his single largest donor!

It’s not just leadership either, AIPAC will fund dozens of US Congresspeople so they can go to Israel and meet with Israeli Officials.

If there’s another single issue lobbying group out there with more political power I’m unaware of them. AIPAC flexes so hard that even the NRA is jealous.

Israel will do literally anything to maintain that pipeline of cash.

That pipeline of cash isn’t going anywhere no matter what Israel does or doesn’t do. They are driving the bus, not riding in it.

• eestileib@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

You’ve described the situation.

Which is why so many people are marching and phoning their representatives etc. We know it’s not going to change on its own, and we can’t live with doing nothing.

• Alph4d0g
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Playing this out. Democrats lose power over lost political funding. AIPAC now ensures it’s largest gov. ally effectively slips into single party representation. That remaining party is aligned nearly completely to an orange figure head that supports fascism openly. Overseas, ironically, the country created as a result of WWII fascism becomes any ally to the world’s largest fascist superpower. Sounds like we’re fscked any way you slice this.

• gastationsushi@lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Unpopular donors are very inefficient and could easily spend x10 their opponent to eke out a win in a primary. Also, donors like to be bipartisan. Meaning they never openly spend on just 1 party in November because they want a good relationship with both parties.

The DNC wants to help Israel without any consequences, so they are pretending to be powerless here. But for arguments sake, if AIPAC tried to hurt the DNCs chances in November over a growing antiwar movement. They would permanently damage Israel’s reputation with liberal democracies across the globe because Trump is an unpopular guy.

• ImFresh3x@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            8 months ago

Except Israel isn’t unpopular with most voters, unfortunately, especially in contested states and districts.

• gastationsushi@lemmy.world
              cake
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              8 months ago

I don’t know how to reply here. You ignored so much of my comment, I’d believe you if you said your reply was meant for another.

• Madison420@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

What did they British government do when proto-isreali terrorists partook in a campaign of assassinations and civilian bombings that used schools, temples and hospitals to stage attacks and store weapons?