Sen. Markwayne Mullin, a former MMA fighter, had challenged the president of the Teamsters union, Sean O’Brien, but Sanders shut them both down.

• andrew@lemmy.stuart.fun
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

And part of that problem is that the aforementioned group of people deliberately make it harder to vote so that it comes down to whoever they can get more outraged. And guess what kind of people get more outraged?

• SheeEttin@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

In presidential elections. Midterms, where people are still elected to Congress, and state and local elections, are also important but see far lower turnout.

• CADmonkey@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I live in Oklahoma, and this is most of the answer.

The reason for that is it’s intentionally difficult to vote if you have a job. A lot of managers won’t give you time even if they are supposed to. The polling places are typically churches, or old folks homes. My polling place is a nursing home, and every time I vote, there is a line of people who can barely remember their own name getting ready to vote, and it’s easy for them because they live there.

• snuff@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

And what make you think that 50% would vote the way you want them to? Remember that people are fucking retarded. End of thought.

• Salamendacious@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

In the last congressional election voter turnout was 46%. The last time a midterm was higher than 50% was in the 1910s.

• ABCDE@lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

You said people won’t vote, you can’t pick and choose when they do vote in higher numbers than you’re saying in presidential elections.

• Salamendacious@lemmy.worldOP
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

So I didn’t make the comment that you initially replied to. I was only offering some data that showed there are a lot of national elections where voter turnout was less than half. It’s true that presidential elections have a higher turnout than midterm but all of the house and ⅓ of the Senate are voted on in every midterm. They’re incredibly important and it’s a fact that less than half of eligible Americans turn out for those elections.