• MentalEdge@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I set up bridges for telegram, discord, and whatsapp. Most of them are STOKED to have all their contacts in one place, even if they still have to open the actual apps for certain features.

I just open schildi on my phone and start scrolling past users from different platforms and they go “GIVE ME THAT”

• jherazob@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I have been eyeing Matrix from afar for a looooong time, i need to reconsider it once I’m fully settled on Fedi, guides to replicate what you did are easily available?

• MentalEdge@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Matrix is likely the most complicated thing I’ve ever set up to host myself. Setting up the bridging was a bit of a nightmare as their development moves at lightning speed and docs were light.

Guides were available, they just didn’t always explain all possible config options.

If you do set it up, don’t go down the rabbithole of trying to sync old message from other platforms to matrix, the current matrix standards just aren’t set up for it, and the basic experimental implementations that synapse has for it are buggy as hell.

Just be happy with future message getting bridged. Once you’re a few months in, you’ll miss the ability to go back in time less and less.