Recent polling suggests that Americans are very worried about gun violence. A Quinnipiac University poll taken from Oct. 26 to 30, right after the Maine shooting, found that 46 percent of registered voters worried about becoming a victim of a mass shooting themselves. That matches a high set in July 2022 in the wake of the Uvalde, Texas, shooting at Robb Elementary School, and is 9 points higher than a low of 37 percent in December 2017, the year the survey began asking the question.

Americans also feel pessimistic that anything will change. Indeed, 68 percent don’t believe the federal government will do anything to reduce gun violence within the next year, per the Quinnipiac poll.

• BaldProphet@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I would buy that if gun lovers voted like they cared about schools, health care, and affordability. But you don’t. You pay lip service and post screeds on the Internet and vote with people who will make things objectively worse on all those fronts.

How do you know what gun owners vote for? You’re making an ignorant assumption about what gun owners vote for. Gun owners exist in every single demographic. There are Black gun owners, Indigenous gun owners, Jewish gun owners, Latinx gun owners, LGBT gun owners.

We own guns because we desire the ability to protect ourselves and we understand the history of gun control in this country: To disarm and victimize undesired groups, in particular, Blacks.

I see the push for gun control to be hand-in-hand with the movement to criminalize self-defense. This is reprehensible.

• Semi-Hemi-Demigod@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Gee, why would I think that?

In the United States in 2022, 48 percent of Republicans reported that they owned at least one gun, and 66 percent said that they lived in a household with a gun. In comparison, only 20 percent of Democrats owned at least one gun, and 31 percent lived a gun household.

This conversation was old after Sandy Hook. You’ve already answered my question: You don’t honestly care that Americans aren’t safe anywhere because of guns because that’s the price of freedom. Thanks for at least being honest.

• BaldProphet@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

You don’t honestly care that Americans aren’t safe anywhere because of guns because that’s the price of freedom. Thanks for at least being honest.

Your dishonesty is tiring and pathetic. Don’t presume to read my mind, and don’t put words into my mouth.