Edit: good to see I woke the shills

• LillyPip@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I get you wanting that one thing. As a libertarian, it’s all about you, and nobody’s going to change your mind because you know best. Good for you.

Meanwhile, people with social empathy (that’s the actual definition of ‘woke’, by the way) will vote for all of your rights, not just the 2A. We want you to have full rights to your body and life, even if you hate us for it.

I want your children to grow up in a world where they’re safe and happy. One in which they can make all the own decisions after they’ve benefited from the best education and healthcare this first-world country can offer them. One in which they’re truly free. – intellectually, economically, and socially.

And despite what republicans and libertarians cry about, I will vote every time for people who will make that happen. And that’s never been republicans or libertarians. They’re lying to you. They’ve always lied to you, because they want power over you, and to get that power, they make you afraid.

I am not afraid. I refuse to be afraid. I’ve seen all of society – I’ve been homeless, and I’ve been at the pinnacle of a white collar career. My family had a beach house in Mexico in the 80s when tourism wasn’t much of a thing there. I hitchhiked across the US in the late 80s. I’ve seen some shit.

You’re being lied to. It hurts to admit, I get that. But some very savvy politicians are making you angry and scared on purpose. Please stop letting them do that to you.

• Daft_ish@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I hope they listen to you. Chances are though, they have no interest in being swayed. The reason they are like this is they think they are more clever than all the rest. They have made their contrarian belief a part of their identity and abandoning that would cause them to have to change who they are.

• LillyPip@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

Honestly, most of these people can’t be reasoned with. Even psychiatrists are saying it’s not worth trying at this point.

I was bored, but if you’re going to engage, I’ve learnt a few things:

1. Acknowledge you’re not going to change their mind, especially in online discussions.

2. If you must engage, talk to the audience reading, not to the person debating you. Then acknowledge you won’t change their minds either.

3. Every reply must be shorter than their last. Never try to out-talk them. They won’t read it, and you’re just giving them ammunition.

4. If you really, really have to engage, know when to stop.

I have a problem with #4 lol