• Dojan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I never did, but keeping my OnePlus One functional for six years took a lot of manual maintenance which I hated. Particularly the last two years.

My iPhone is super hands-off. I input my pin, click “install update” and put it on the charger for ten minutes or so, it does the rest.

No need to figure out which gapps to get, no need to find a good ROM, no BS with console applications, no hooking it up to the computer, no workarounds with Magisk to restore functionality lost with the flash, etc.

• mawp@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

That’s fair. I feel like it’s quite manufacturer dependant now, and unfortunately if you don’t look beforehand you can end up with a bum deal in that regard.

Samsung are good in that they’ll now update their phones with 4 years of Android updates, plus an extra year of security updates. Google are similar, but I believe they do 3 years of Android updates and 1 year of security updates IIRC. Both of these work fine for me as I run a 3 year update cycle, but I’d feel like I got shafted if I got something like the ASUS Zenfone 9 which only has 2 years of updates promised.

It’s no secret why there’s still so many old iPhones kicking about when you consider how they’re still getting updated. I think the difference though is that Apple makes money off of you being in their ecosystem, whereas a manufacturer like Samsung, Asus, etc. make pennies if anything at all.