• stevecrox@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

For anyone too lazy to read the blog, there are 10 shortcuts on the sidebar of nautilus. The author can’t remember the last time they used “Documents” and picture/music links are rarely used. In their experience they only need “Downloads”. So they suggest its worth pruning the list.

Ahh Gnome dev’s continuing trend of removing things they personally don’t find useful.

• InFerNo@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I use them all the time. I even bookmarked some more!

Edit: just read the article and the GNOME devs aren’t suggesting “downloads” to be the only folder at all! It’s a joke the author of the article put in at the end, since it’s where all his downloaded videos, pictures and documents go and he’s too lazy to move the files so he uses that folder the most.

They really want to reduce the default list but allow more configurability to add your own shortcuts.

Also, they’re renaming “other locations” to “network” which seems silly to me, because i have 5 local unmounted disks in there and 1 network share. Following their logic it should be renamed to “local disks” instead. /s

• lusinge@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Have you really read the article ? First of all, the author is not from Gnome dev’s team. He is just working for omglinux. Secondly, you can choose what goes in the list. You can add more entries than ever if this mock up becomes real.

• petsoiOPM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I personally also agree on making the side bar more flexible. I find it annoying, that it is not possible to not remove folders like music which I don’t use at all. So I’m only able to add new folders, which makes it more overloaded.

• kenbw2@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I’m personally up for this - I use maybe half of those folders

I’m sure it would be better received if the list would be configurable, but I know that’s not Gnome’s style

• petsoiOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s not only this, it’s also about making Nautilus better maintainable by moving this code to an extension. Ubuntu is using this extensions.

• Fredol@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Are you guys crazy? The sidebar is already super minimalist compared to dolphin or other OS’ default file manager. There’s no need to prune anything. Pursuing this level of simplicity is destructive.