• Flatfire@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Maybe I’m missing some of the nuances between KDE and Gnome, but I’ve enjoyed the out of box experience with KDE far more than Gnome. That said, perhaps I’ve simply timed my switchover to Plasma such that I missed its teething pains. I say this as someone who used pretty much exclusively Gnome over the years.

What would you say sets Gnome apart?

• flashgnash@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

The launcher is quite nice to use, fast and search oriented (I never used any of the start menu on windows besides the search bar anyway so the fact it’s the main focus is nice)

Virtual desktops (only on Wayland) are very well implemented and feel very smooth, three finger swipe works a charm, with the forge extension it tiles servicably as well

Also just one of the nicest looking DEs imo. I have since switched to hyprland because I wanted first class tiling support but I have my system UI looking very similar to gnome’s, using mostly gnome’s applications

Having used gnome on Ubuntu a couple years ago I have to say it has come miles recently (also Ubuntu’s gnome in my opinion is not as good as vanilla gnome) - it feels very clean and intuitive out of the box

• Flatfire@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

The launcher is a fair point. Though for me at least, not having the spotlight-esque search hasn’t been a problem. Appearance is an odd one, since the best part of Both Gnome and KDE is the wonderful flexibility in visual customizability. At the end of the day, I suppose I’d happily use either. Right now, I think Plasma’s big features for me has to be window snapping and, once 6.0 releases, hopefully HDR support.

• flashgnash@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

I don’t think gnome is particularly customizable visually, you can change theme and use extensions if you really want to buy their main focus is making one really good UI and I’ve gotta respect that

At least in my opinion gnome looks far better than KDE out of the box, KDE just looks like windows to me

Gnome has fairly good window snapping as well I think and stuff like pop shell and forge for tiling