When I first read the titile, I thought that the US is going to have to build A LOT to triple global production. Then it occured to me that the author means the US is pledging to make deals and agreements which enable other countries to build their own. Sometimes I think the US thinks too much of itself and that’s also very much part of American branding.

Where are my renewable bros at? Tell me this is bad.

• PowerCrazy@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

But here is the thing. There is no resource constraint between building nuclear power and building solar or wind, or even hydro. They use difference resources, they require different sectors of the economy to realize, and they require different engineering. They don’t compete with each other except in the minds of people who favor one over the other for some reason.

Nuclear competes with fossil fuels, that’s it. So do renewables, but on a much more limited basis. They do not compete iwth each other. No individual or government is ever looking at a choice between Wind power and Nuclear power and choosing one over the other.

• apollo440@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Except for funding, obviously.

And as I said, the main point is we need clean, renewable energy as soon as possible, which only solar and wind (and to some extent hydro) can provide.