• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

The best Star Trek show is the one you like the most. If that’s Discovery, that’s fine. And if you don’t like the show, that’s also fine. But making an overall declaration that a show is terrible and tacitly expecting everyone to agree is not cool.

• RojoSanIchiban@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I’m not expecting everyone agree whether or telling anyone whether or not they should or shouldn’t like it, but there are many more demonstrable issues with writing and plotting, let alone canon, that exist in excess throughout Discovery, Picard, and SNW. These are objective issues that actual writers have taken issue with, and they’re consistent issues with the executive producers involved.

Absolutely TNG or DS9 aren’t some pantheon of perfection, but from an overall standpoint of consistency, narrative continuity, and proper handling of characters and their development? They’re lightyears beyond the juvenile handling of characters and plots in the post 09 FMV shows. It’s just fact.

• Stamets@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

First off, no clue what your opening line is even attempting to say.

Second, no. It isn’t “just fact” lol

Listing examples instead of rambling opinions is far more convincing if you’re trying to get people to believe you. Especially when you claim that there are “many” issues, that they’re “objective” and that “writers have taken issue with.”

Moreover, if you want to share fact then separate the opinion from it. I am not taking you seriously both for the lack of example but also the fact that you are showing too much of your own opinion. The juvenile comment, the angry energy, saying “actual” writers to discredit people you disagree with further. Also the like “It’s just fact” is rarely spoken by people who are simply sharing objective fact.

Really hard to take someone at face value when they’re so angry and bitter.

• RojoSanIchiban@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

You’re ascribing a lot of emotional baggage to what I typed on my phone while pedaling a stationary bike that doesn’t exist.

I’m not here to argue the finer points of plot holes in these productions that have been under spotlights for years and detailed far better by people with enough time to make hundreds of videos on the subjects like Robert Meyer Burnett, Nitpicking Nerd, and Red Letter Media.

If you enjoy these shows, fantastic, more power to you. Just don’t tell me they’re amazingly well-made and just as good as previous incarnations of Star Trek when they can and have been analyzed ad nauseam, displaying exactly how they aren’t.

• Stamets@startrek.website
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

Robert Meyer Burnett, Nitpicking Nerd, and Red Letter Media.

…This is not the take you thing it is lol

Red Letter Media

Ah yes. The self proclaimed racists who use ragebaiting as their primary method of getting people to watch their videos.

Nitpicking Nerd

Ah yes. The dude who openly uses his cynicism in his username and who constantly uses ragebaiting as well to get people to watch his videos.

Robert Meyer Burnett

Fucking who?

Like I said. Unless you are providing examples then I’m simply not taking you seriously. Your dismissal of it entirely and refusal to even attempt to defend your position means you simply don’t have a valid one.

I like the shows but that has nothing to do with this conversation. My liking of the show isn’t the reason why I’m expecting an unbiased/critical review. It’s simply because I have standards. Doesn’t matter if it is for Star Trek, Star Wars, or some show i’ve never even heard of. Anyone who’s going to inject their own emotional opinion into a review, and then refusal to even elaborate on position while doubling down, is someone whose opinion is just not worth the time to read to it.