• Existing@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Prime time for you to discover and fall in love with Studio Ghibli movies. I suggest working your way through Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke, to get a feel of what to expect in terms of storytelling, visuals and sound tracking. Of its your cup of tea, their older discogs are truly amazing as well.

I envy you that you get to experience the Ghibli experience for the first time.

• mayo@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Oh I already have. I bought the Nausicaa manga after watching Valley of the Wind (english dub). I think Princess Mononoke is my next favourite. Masterpiece storytelling and art.

• Existing@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

My apologies, I thought you meant you haven’t seen a Ghibli movie. Excuse my dyslexic ass. Yeah, a few local film festivals sometimes put Ghibli movies for theatre showings. You are right though, this may actually be my first new Ghibli movie I’ll see in a theatre screen, I’m keen.

• dreamfall@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Fathom Events has been doing Ghibli Fest the past few years in many major theaters around the US. It’s 10 of their movies each every two weeks in both subbed and dubbed. I would highly recommend seeing what you can in theaters.

I wasn’t a huge fan of Kiki as a kid, but seeing it on a big screen changed my mind on it! It is amazing to see their animation on a huge screen!