My background is backend development with Java and Kotlin for the last decade. I have a little bit of HTML/JS experience but I’m not a pro. I would like to build a modern Sierra game, of sorts.

I have no problem investing the time, it just seems overwhelming to jump into and while I’ve looked at a couple of tutorials, I still seem a bit mystified by the process.

I’m interested in multiplayer design and function twofold, as I’m intrigued at both how to make it work efficiently and the reasons some game companies claim their game servers cost millions a month to run and have to shut them off (looking at you, Gun Media).

• popcar2@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Since you have programming experience getting started shouldn’t be too difficult for you. You can jump straight into the introduction in the docs or just jump straight into the your first game section. It gives you a quick intro and tells you how to get around.

After that you can check out the ultimate introduction to Godot 4 video. It’s a massive 11 hour video that teaches you almost everything you need to know (in 2D game development). Good luck.

• Feyter@programming.devM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I can only support this answer. Especially the official doc’s are great.

I generally recommend not to blindly follow a tutorial. Instead think of your own little game (something of the scope that could be a mini game in Mario Party) and than divide it in small problems and start solving one after the other with the recourse mentioned above.

After finishing the first game your ready to make any game you want.

• 0ops@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Agreed, hopefully since op has dev experience he learned that lesson long ago

• anteaters@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

This is a very common question, I’m sure you can find many articles or videos about “how do I start” when getting into game dev with an engine. As you already have a development background the best way for you is probably to “just build something” using the official documentation only. Pick a “small” game or project as a way to work with the engine and learn how things are done and how all the pieces interact with each other. The more you understand all the bits and pieces and how they are composed together to form a game the easier you will find it to plan and conceptualize your game.

Multiplayer is a super interesting topic, especially regarding these mysterious “game servers” or online services. I recommend Nakama as a FOSS example for one such service - which conveniently also has Godot support. The example project of theirs might also be a good starting point for you to see the engine at work.

Alternatively you can also use your backend experience to build the game services yourself - but that will distract you easily from working on the game itself.

• F4stL4ne@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

My first Godot game was multiplayer and I’m currently working on a multiplayer RPG framework on Godot and I really could use some help on this one. I’m not a very good dev, but feel free to ask me questions, I’ll try my best to answer you.

I found networking in Godot really strait forward and kind of easy even for a newcomer. And the server side conf is not that difficult to set up.

• Reacher@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Start small get bigger.

How did you start with Java 10 years ago before you started working professionally? Use the same approach.