Shared by @tchambers and originally written by @chipotle

With kbin’s microblogging integration I think this is particularly relevant for our community as well! It’s a great read please take the time to read the full post.

Relevant Paragraph:
"Look. At the end of the day, I’m a Mastodon partisan. But I don’t love its collective tendency toward self-important dogmatism…The truth is, #Threads is not about Mastodon. It’s about Meta and only about Meta, and Mastodon isn’t important enough to them to spend the considerable effort that would be necessary to destroy it.

It’d be awfully damn ironic if the Fediverse decides it’s become necessary to destroy itself to stop them."

• wrath-sedan@kbin.socialOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Why is it so hard for some people to admit that some precaution is required when we are dealing with predators like Facebook?

I think this author of this piece is very clearly in favor of precautions and state their preferred integration as “silence” mode not unfettered federation:

“Personally, I would federate with Threads in “silence” mode: my instance’s users would be able to follow Threads users and vice versa, but posts from Threads would not show up in any public timelines on my server.”

I agree that there should be precautions in place to prevent a glut of threads content dwarfing all the locally produced content. I think the fear is that if some instances go for the hard defederation route, defederating from threads and threads-federated instances, we will effectively be bisecting the existing fediverse in two, which may be a cure worse than the disease.