• cyrusg@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I know Threads gets a lot of criticism here but the launch and growth rate are incredible nonetheless.

• Double_A
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Isn’t that because it’s getting nag screened in Instagram? So people will be like “Yeah, ok, I guess I’ll click this button to see what this is…”

• cyrusg@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Yeah, I’m sure a significant percentage are signing up but not staying active. That said, my feed is filled with content from people I follow. They did a great job engaging “influencers” (I hate that term) before the public launch.

• HughJanus@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I mean it’s really not that impressive if you consider how it works. People just click “sign in with Instagram” and boom now they have a Threads account.

I have no doubt they will be successful though, considering the absolute shitshow that is Twitter now. I’d love to see their daily active users and revenue over the last few months.

• AJ Sadauskas@aus.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

@HughJanus @cyrusg On the revenue front, it’s worth noting that all of Meta’s social media apps basically share the same ad platform.

Every business that advertises on Facebook or Instagram (and there are many) already uses that ad platform.

I think a lot of social media marketing managers are waking up one morning discovering there’s a new checkbox that’s suddenly appeared in their Meta for Business ad campaigns.

Along with being able to select their ads appearing on Facebook or Insta, there’s now a checkbox that says “Threads”.

And, knowing Meta, it’s on by default.

If the ad manager doesn’t notice it, boom, their brand’s ads are now appearing on Threads.

Given how much fashion brands love Instagram, my guess is that there’s a lot of shoes and handbags being offered on Threads.

On the other side of the coin, given the number of brands that have abandoned Twitter, I can see how Threads could very quickly win the battle for ad dollars.

• AJ Sadauskas@aus.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

@HughJanus Then that checkbox will appear one morning then.

Either way, it will almost certainly use Meta’s existing ad platform. They won’t create a separate one for Threads.

It will most likely be opt out.

And given how Elon has scared off many big advertisers, as long as Zuck maintains a decent number of MAUs, then I foresee Meta quickly gaining more revenue than Twitter.