It’s incredible how much the prices have fallen and that’s how it should be. Sure, I bought the 960 close to launch but still the difference is staggering.

The 960 Evo still chugs along albeit it’s a new one because a few months after I bought it, I had to RMA it. I guess that’s what happens when you are an early adopter. I lost a few hours of work when the original 960 Evo decided to stop working but it also taught me to be more paranoia with backups.

• Rai@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Then ya got the 8800GTX in 2006, with a MSRP at a cool FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE US DOLLARS, or 900USD in now-money.

Granted, that was an outlier at the time, but still!

I opted for 2x7900GT cards in SLI in my first self-built monster machine, for Crysis. 330USD each. That thing was a monster. Ran Crysis at 40-50FPS!

…bought an Athlon 64x2 4400+ for some 460USD… it dropped to like 200 just a month or so later when Intel’s Core series was a smash hit.

• DrManhattan@lemmy.design
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I bought the 8800GTX because it was the first DX10 compatible GPU available, and that thing was an amazing powerhouse. No need to fiddle with SLI profiles, just raw graphical power.