cross-posted from: https://lemm.ee/post/15388100

Nothing Chats has already been pulled from Google Play over privacy issues / Nothing pulled the Nothing Chats beta from the Google Play store “until further notice” after reports that Sunbird sends messages in plain text.

• csfirecracker@lemmyf.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I knew it wasn’t going far when I heard the service was being run by having a farm of mac servers acting as the bridge and that you needed to give over your apple credentials to use it.

• miss_brainfart@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Why even do this in the first place, when Matrix Bridges have been a thing for ages now?

(Note: I don’t like Matrix Bridges either, they’re problematic in their own right)

• MarsRT@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

pretty sure sunbird claimed they were able to get thousands of apple IDs to be able to work on one mac, which is something matrix bridge based iMessage solutions like Beeper don’t do

whether they’re actually being truthful about that, i would personally doubt it

• miss_brainfart@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

which is something matrix bridge based iMessage solutions like Beeper don’t do

Which is precisely what makes Matrix the better option for this, albeit still not great

• MarsRT@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              7 months ago

for a mass market solution though, that’s not scalable at all, even if you try to get the cheapest, used macs possible so I can see why sunbird would claim to do this

• gaael@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

When your privacy performance is not even good enough for Google, it’s time to ask yourself some questions.