Edited below. I imagine many of us are here from reddit, where hashtags weren’t really a thing and in many places mentions were actively discouraged (/r/politics I’m looking at you). However, since everything we post or comment on kbin (and lemmy) has the potential of getting federated on a mastodon server, which leans heavily on hashtags and mentions, should we be promoting the use of hashtags and mentions, in an effort to-- I dunno-- kind of tie everything together a little more neatly?

If the answer is “yeah, we probably should” then I’d also suggest that there be an option added to the settings to auto-populate the hashtags associated with the magazine to every post and another to add them to every top-level comment, very similar to how we have the option to auto-populate mentions for posts and comments.

Does this “Tags” field, when making a new thread/post, actually do anything with respect to this, or is that more for kbin-related stuff?

Oh, and, uh… #hashtags #kbin #fediverse

Feels weird to do that.

Edit: So, I did some brief testing, and have noted the following:

• Hashtags associated with the magazine are auto-populated at the end of the mastodon snippet.
  • Hashtags added to the tags field are likewise added to the end of the mastodon snippet.
  • Hashtags in the body text are seen as hashtags, but for reasons that might just be mastodon weirdness, searching for the hashtag doesn’t display the associated post.
  • Hashtags in the body but more than ~350 characters into the body (i.e., past the point the snippet cuts it off) do not display.

Edit2: Mostly unrelated, but when I mention the “snippet” above, it seems like it is created by the first ~350 characters of the first paragraph. That is to say, if your first paragraph is 10 characters, then a blank line, then 100 more characters-- the snippet will only be 10 characters long.