• JacobCoffinWrites@slrpnk.netM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Nice! We’ve been using Too Good To Go (what looks to be an equivalent app in the States) and we’ve had an awesome experience with it! We’ve used it to check out different restaurants and bakeries and grocery stores we couldn’t normally justify for cost, and it provided a nice cooking challenge and variety during the pandemic. We’d get a grocery bag of random stuff and make a game out of figuring out how to turn it into a good meal. At our favorite yuppie grocery place, we usually end up with a bunch of bread or bagels, some kind of prepared meal, some kind of vegan alternative food thing we wouldn’t have thought to buy otherwise and some small odds and ends, all for $6. Though sometimes it’s more eclectic than others - we once got a shopping bag just full of garlic and I think a loaf of bread, so we made a garlic sauce.

It’s saved us a bunch of money and added some really nice stuff to our diet that we wouldn’t have bought otherwise, but it seems like one of those things that’s really nice if you’re financially okay and have the time/means to work out what to do with your random food windfall, but might be less useful if you’re on a tight budget or short on time.

• RoquetteQueen@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s definitely helpful for my low-income family, but not enough to make a noticeable difference. At least where I am, there is very rarely much available on flashfood. I did fill my freezer with bread today from it though.

• JacobCoffinWrites@slrpnk.netM
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Looking into it a bit more, the ability to choose what to get definitely makes it seem more useful. I hope more stuff becomes available for you.

Too Good To Go has always been more or less a blind bag of whatever was expiring that day equal to approx 3X the value you pay (though some places give way more). We did use it for a local bakery specializing in breads, and that was awesome and easier to plan around.