Safe Streets Rebel’s protest comes after automatic vehicles were blamed for incidents including crashing into a bus and running over a dog. City officials in June said…

• lemmycolon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Cars are incredibly inefficient at transporting groups of people long distances

FTFY

I’d love a legit train system to take me to locations across the state or country. But for running errands or local, day-to-day tasks, trains aren’t the answer.

• tostiman@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Of course! For running errands and local, day-to-day tasks the bicycle is of course the best vehicle :)

• Iceblade@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

When it isn’t icy, rainy, or too hot, or you need to transport cargo, or need to be presentable when you arrive, or aren’t healthy enough…

Wow, that’s a lot of caveats. I still end up biking a decent chunk, and travel with public transport a bit as well (thanks to student rebates), but my car is a frequently used necessity.

• JesusTheCarpenter@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Exactly, even if people wanted to not everyone can afford to arrive all sweaty or wet carrying a giant backpack.

• Anders429@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Assuming you live in a bike-friendly area. Bad biking infrastructure means you’re basically risking your life every time you go out on one.

• FluffyPotato@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

I have taken the tram for whatever I need short distance so far, it’s also free and goes from like behind my apartment to pretty much anywhere I would wanna go, including work. If I wanna visit my parents then yea, I take the train but I haven’t needed a car in years.