Hey,

I’m curious to know what role religion plays in your day to day live as I am myself from the east of Germany which was called by the guardian the most godless place on earth a few years back and I only know very few religious people personally. My few run ins with religous folks have all been rather nice so far. Of course there’s still influences of religion in Germany as a whole but not really in my day to day live and the whole topic of religion always leaves me kind of baffled when I try to understand it, especially since there are some weird concepts that I just don’t understand logically but it seems to be rather important to a lot of people. On the flip side it seems that it’s rather important to you to proclaim that you’re non religious. Why’s that?

• gorillakitty@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m in the US and I try to avoid the subject as much as possible with people who aren’t my close friends.

Our neighbors are deeply religious, they’ve invited me to go to church with them and read the bible together. I just decline politely without adding an opinion.

The wife seems to be a crackpot, I avoid her like the plague. She’s a Hispanic immigrant but has made some racist comments to me about black people. She also believes some batshit crazy right wing garbage… well, I think the whole family does.

The most annoying thing they do is every week they go to multiple food banks; which is fine, I don’t judge. But the wife is a hoarder and they don’t have room for the new food. Their solution? They give their old food to us. We get cans of food that’s rusty and expired, one bag of rice even had bugs in it.

We’ve tried politely telling them we don’t want or need their food, but they show up every week at our door with it. We just throw it away. But what’s the point? She doesn’t want to feel like she’s wasting food, wants to do a “good deed,” and passes her literal garbage onto us?

Other than that, I don’t really have many religious people in my life. Maybe some relatives but they aren’t deeply devout; I prefer to talk about other things with them.

Once in awhile we get Jehovah Witnesses knocking on our door, but we just tell them we’re not interested. I’d love to be a fly on the wall and see what kind of conversation they have with the crazy neighbors, they’re 7th Day Adventists. And the JW’s are usually a group of black ladies. Do they duke it out on who loves Jesus more? Have a prayer huddle?

• srai@feddit.deOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Gradually, humanity should rely a bit more on science than on omnipotent beings.

That’s another odd thing for me because the people I interact with do exactly that. I mean no one thinks a plane would still fly if the numbers are wrong or that a crystal would still begin lasing even if you put it in the wrong cavity just because you prayed for it or something.

• SuddenDownpour@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My few run ins with religous folks have all been rather nice so far.

This is a terrible method to understand the moral character of a person. You can exchange as many minor pleasantries as you want with people in the Bible Belt or Saudi Arabia, as long as they don’t know you’re gay, trans or want an abortion.

Why am I strongly against religion? Because it’s a social institution that encourages trust based in faith, which is pretty dumb by itself, but I have also been shown again and again that sooner or later there will appear a bad actor with the clear intention to exploit it, and when the victims of their abuse try to denounce it, they will more likely than not find themselves kicked out from their own community.

To answer your question, the role of religion as an institution in my life is none, first because of the damage they have provoked on me, and second because I now actively try distancing myself from it.

• NochMehrG@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I also live in Germany. In personal interactions religion is usually not present. I’m always surprised to learn that somebody is religious. Since I’m not religious myself, I tend to forget that other people might be. I guess for most people it’s something more personal. Even the occasional Jehova’s Witness asks before they start pushing their God onto you. At the same time there is still Religion class (as in Christian) at school. You don’t have to go, but it’s the default and in most elementary schools there is no alternative as it is in secondary school. And the kids are taken to Christian services to celebrate the start of the school year and such. I don’t mind too much, I guess it’s an educational experience, but I’d still like my secular state to handle religion in a different way in it’s schools.

• srai@feddit.deOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

At the same time there is still Religion class (as in Christian) at school.

Oh yeah right that one exists in some states! In my home state we don’t have that or at least it’s not mandatory. We have Leben, Ethik, Religion (Life, Ethics, Religion) instead as a mandatory class. There we talked about a whole bunch of stuff and looking back it was surprisingly progressiv. For instance we talked about Transgender and Intersexual issues in the early 2000s. We also talked about female genital mutilation. Furthermore we talked about general ethics and got an overview of the world religions like Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity and Judaism.

• nlm@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m in one of the most secular countries in the world so it’s really not common over here.

Sure, there are churches sprinkled around but actual religion is extremely rare to encounter. We still celebrate the same old religious holidays but they’ve basically lost basically all religious connections.

Overall I’d say I’d be surprised if anything to encounter someone who’s actually religious.