• snowbell@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

What is the point of using an email client over just using the web client? I’ve never been able to figure out the use case. Genuine question, not just trying to shit on this.

Edit: Thanks for all the answers, I’m trying it out now

• Parsnip8904@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

You login once, you’re set for years. Combined inbox from all your accounts so that you can see everything in one place. You only need to familiarise yourself with one interface.

• stonemilker
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

My use case: I like to have all my emails stored locally just in case some disaster happens with the copies in the cloud; I also get to have both personal and work email addresses, from different providers, in one organized and unified interface, and the same goes for tasks, calendars and contacts; and some features from big web clients are sometimes too nosy for my taste (suggested replies, pushing their calendar, messaging, tasks and contacts products, etc)

• sin_free_for_00_days@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

As someone who uses neomutt for mail, I may be an outlier. I like to feel like I have control over my email without having to worry about my internet connection. Also, I really, really hate the lag of web clients.

• sibloure@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago
      • You have an offline copy of your email records (and calendar and contacts) on your own computer without needing internet that no one can take away or lose.
      • It helps if you regularly check multiple email accounts, such as personal and work, all in one place.
      • Email integrates with some applications, such as Photos apps via the built-in share menu.
      • Advanced features like email filters, mailing groups, etc, that may not be available on webmail.
    • jcarax@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I just don’t like to be in a browser for things that don’t have to be. At least not for things I use regularly, that don’t have to be. My computer has a window manager for a reason, I can move windows all over the place, and things like email I can keep always visible at work, or keep minimized and out of the way at home. But in a browser, the limited impact of tab groups aside, I’m pretty much stuck with a flat organization structure that can quickly become burdensome.

I also abhor notifications through the browser.

• Rentlar@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

For me, it’s a matter of taste and philosophy. IMAP and POP3 are like ActivityPub, a public and widely-adopted protocol standard for their purpose. It represents my ownership of my email.

There’s no unnecessary tracking or metrics while I draft my mail. I don’t need Microsoft and Google’s advertisements. If they decide to suddenly purge my almost 20 years worth of electronic mail, then I still have a backup copy.

Thunderbird is a really useful client too. You can even participate in matrix chatrooms through it.

• retrolasered@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Looks good, i actually switched from evolution to geary for the modern layout, even though geary is less feature rich, might have to look at thunderbird again. Anyone know if k-9 has been birdified yet?

• monotrox
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The message UI of K9 was changed and I think the app already implemented the auto-setup of accounts from thunderbird, otherwise its still the same app

• retrolasered@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Oh thanks, the fdroid screenshots are still really outdated so ive just been staying on fairemail so far

• menturi@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve been soo looking forward to this! I completely forgot the last couple months so this came by surprise, I’m excited to update!

• F5XS@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s just a shame that the Arch Linux Official Repository is still several updates outdated. Thunderbird in the repository is still at v102 at writing.

• Parsnip8904@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Just got in the beta channel :) Looks awesome and feels much more responsive. This is an amazing step! I remember how it looked like thunderbird might die after Mozilla ditched it but here we are.

• SirMino@feddit.it
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

from twitter “It’s almost time! Thunderbird Supernova releases at noon PST / 3pm EST / 9pm CEST.”

• TheBaldness@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This is good as long as they’re not forcing the unified inbox on me. I like my accounts to be separate.