• TokenBoomer@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I like where you’re headed, though I ascribe more to materialism than existentialism. You might find this interesting.

• bastion@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

My views in concept and praxis are a form of dialectics - However, i don’t think Hegel was wrong to address the mind with it, nor do I think Marx was wrong to attempt to ground it in material reality. But Marx’s conclusions aren’t my own.

I utilize consciousness for direct and indirect action in life. It has a larger effect on objective reality than a materialist would generally credit, though not the absolute primacy credited to it by existentialists. But the Materialists and Existentialists are just another duality, each observing a layer of what is ultimately an infinitely recursive nested system of orders - a system that isn’t quite chaos, but in which no specific implementation of order is comprehensive.

I’m not of the opinion that there is a definitive line between the internal and external realities. Rather, they form a kind of continuum, with the nearby bits being the next and prior things to become conscious of, and the faraway bits being the things I have already integrated, or that are so far removed from my current state that they are not yet noticeably relevant.

But isn’t the place for society to two me what to do, nor vice versa. That’s just one system directing another system. If it does so accurately, the other system responds. If it does so inaccurately, the other system does not respond. …but that doesn’t confer obligations onto either system.

Rather, personal need and sense of connection to society may cause an individual to act in favor of society, or for a society to act similarly towards an individual. Recognition of the benefits of harmonious living and of honesty may cause an individual or society to act accordingly.

But there is no obligation. There is only life, and death, what will be, and what will not. Fortunately, we tend to live longer when we find persinal meaning and value, and when we are in liveable circumstances. Sometimes, things get shitty, and we destroy them, or we break, or the circumstances break on their own.

Cultivating existences that one can enjoy, that one can share, is generally my jam. Trying to make things not exist isn’t - but there’s a time and pace for everything.