Hello,

I’m looking to buy a mechanical keyboard (well duh…) and I have the following requirements:

• under 100€ (not a super hard requirement, but not like 300€)
  • relatively silent (so no blue switches, i’d probably prefer red or brown)
  • german keyboard layout
  • bluetooth, to use with my iPad, but also USB (USB-C, if possible)
  • as long a battery charge as possible, because I keep forgeting to plug things in
  • battery indicator of some sort, to show me when to plug in; doesn’t have to be anything special, a LED telling me to fucking-plug-it-in-already™ is alright
  • Tenkeyless layout with separate F-Keys, arrows and home/end/up/down block
  • exchangable switches would be nice

For now I don’t have any aesthetic requirements. Can somebody help a fella, who doesn’t know what’s good and what’s not, out?

• shapesandstuff@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

german keyboard layout

As a German, don’t do this to yourself.

Eventually you’ll want those specific caps amd it’s either 80 bucks ontop for the iso/de/euro package or simply no options or a missing iso enter. Or some keeb that literally only comes in ansi.

If you’re a developer, take a look at the US-international layout for all your umlaut needs. ẞ and all.i haven’t dabbled with dvorak and the likes, so best read up on whats best for you.

Learning the new layout is quick and easy in my experience. Did half an hour of keybr a day tops, and I’d say i got the grasp within two weeks. Some searching for umlaut/specific special character but that comes with time.

Now on qwerty im so much comfier reaching the brackets and parenthesis etc.

• theolodger@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Definitely Keychron… I have the Q1V2, but that is not as cheap outside Hong Kong / China, so K series.

• Masterkraft0rOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I’m this close to buying a k8 ;) need to sleep over it thanks :)

• Alteredraccoon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I just got a keychron and I really love it! I believe they have some wireless options. They also have a switch so you can change between mac/windows layout. So it should work fine with your iPad. Also I got the brown switches they provide and they’re really great.

• Masterkraft0rOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

yeah keychron seems to be the way to go. the k2 and k8 are great contenders. thanks

edit: add thanks

• Masterkraft0rOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Thanks. I’m currently looking at keychron keyboards. the k8 might also be interesting. it doesn’t have to be super small, just without the numpad is fine.

edit: add also

• ethman42@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I have a couple keychron boards. I would suggest you start there. They are a good price point and will work well with your iPad

• Masterkraft0rOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

they seem to be great. i’ll be looking at those some more ;) thanks