• kool_newt@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

“…when the outcome is all the same” maybe to you, that’s the definition of privilege. I’m a trans woman, my well being is directly connected to who wins, and I’m not the only vulnerable one.

• GodlessCommie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

What exactly have Dems at the federal level done to insure or expand your protections? Doing nothing to prevent harm is the equivalent of doing harm

• kool_newt@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

You must be young, I transitioned 20 years ago and there have been many many laws passed and repealed and passed again regarding transgender people. Consistently over the decades one party is looking to make life for transgender people difficult and dangerous, the other party is often making laws protecting transgender people, or at least not enacting sadistic laws out of pure hate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender_rights_in_the_United_States

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

Im not young, but the question still remains, what have democrats at the national level done to protect you? All it appears theyve done is use our community as human shields to prevent criticism of their shitty policies.

Everything in the link you provided is a states rights issue, nothing federal, even marriage was kicked back to the states by dems last year

• kool_newt@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/obama-administration-title-ix-transgender-student-rights-223149

https://www.washingtonblade.com/2018/05/05/obama-era-trans-protections-in-jeopardy/

But for sake of argument, even if Democrats had done jack shit to protect me, they haven’t been sadistic like the only alternative is. There is no realistic third alternative, not for 2024 at least. If you want something better than what we have, you gotta work for it, not push for doomed revolution.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

3rd isnt an option because liberals don’t want it to be. They are comfortable with the status quo, the same status quo that keeps everyone oppressed. Both parties intentionally are controlled opposition, to maintain the power structure that they’ve spent decades building. Republicans provide you a boogeyman, and Democrats proclaimed to be your savior, so that we are constantly fighting each other instead of fighting them.

• kool_newt@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

3rd isnt an option because liberals don’t want it to be

Yep, that’s at least a big part of it. We need to break out of this but not by forfeiting and letting Republicans win. Putting energy toward ranked choice voting or something is probably wiser.